Federal Guidance on Schools' Obligation to Provide Students with Disabilities Opportunity to Participate in Athletics
This January 25, 2013, guidance from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights clarifies schools' obligations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide students with disabilities equal opportunity to participate in extracurricular athletic activities.
The guidance provides examples of modifications that schools may be required to make to existing policies, practices, or procedures for students with intellectual, developmental, physical, or any other type of disability.
- Federal Department of Education Clarifies Schools' Obligation to Provide Students with Disabilities Opportunities to Participate in Athletics
- Creating Equal Opportunities for Children with Disabilities to Participate in PE and Extracurricular Athletics
- Students With Disabilities: More Information and Guidance Could Improve Opportunities in Physical Education and Athletics
- School Climate and Discipline, U.S. Department of Education Guidance
- The Inclusion of Students With Disabilities in School Accountability Systems: An Update