English Language Learning and Leadership: Putting it All Together
As our student population becomes increasingly linguistically diverse, educators are faced with the challenge of providing academically rigorous instruction to English language learners (ELLs). Because this requires teachers to adopt new strategies that challenges learners to think at higher levels, it will subsequently require leaders to intentionally address all aspects of the change process to ensure that teachers have the support they need to successfully incorporate new strategies in their classrooms. This article describes how school leadership might approach equipping teachers for this work by adding such topics as higher order thinking skills within the steps of the language acquisition process.
- Processes and Challenges in Identifying Learning Disabilities Among Students Who Are English Language Learners in Three New York State Districts.
- Science and Language for English Language Learners in Relation to Next Generation Science Standards and with Implications for Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics
- Educating English Language Learners: Building Teacher Capacity. Roundtable Report
- Supporting English Language Learners: A Pocket Guide for State and District Leaders
- Framework for English Language Proficiency Development Standards Corresponding to the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards