Innovative and effective public charter schools.
The National Charter School Resource Center (Resource Center) serves as a national center to provide on-demand resources, information, and technical assistance to support successful planning, authorizing, implementation, and sustainability of high-quality charter schools; to share evaluations on the effects of charter schools; and to disseminate information about successful practices in charter schools.
The Resource Center is funded through the U.S. Department of Education’s Charter Schools Program and operated by Learning Point Associates, an affiliate of the American Institutes for Research. The contract for the Resource Center began October 1, 2009 and will last for five years.
The Resource Center's website provides a clearinghouse of high-quality resources to support the charter school community. We recognize that charter school leaders and staff are busy operating their schools and do not have time to sift through all of the available information on the web. To support the work of charter school leaders, we scan publicly available resources on an ongoing basis, identify the highest quality resources from leading researchers and practitioners, and then post those resources on our website. We also publish monthly newsletters, provide technical assistance, and host webinars and events on topics that are of interest to the charter school community.
- American Institutes for Research manages the National Charter School Resource Center contract, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Tammie Knights is the Director of the National Charter School Resource Center.
- The Center on Reinventing Public Education will author future versions of Hopes, Fears, & Reality with funding from the Resource Center.
- The Colorado League of Charter Schools leads the implementation of a Resource Center survey of charter school facilities in several states.
- Forum One assists with the design and development of the Resource Center website.
- JM Consulting Inc. serves as the external evaluator for the Resource Center.
- The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools leads the delivery of the Resource Center's technical assistance and support for charter support organizations.
- The National Association of Charter School Authorizers leads the delivery of the Resource Center's technical assistance and support for charter school authorizers.
- The National Association of State Directors of Special Education supports the Resource Center's technical assistance activities related to special education and charter schools.
- Public Impact authors Resource Center publications and supports the development of the Authorizer Resource.
Our National Advisory Board Members
Eileen Ahearn, Project Director, National Association of State Directors of Special Education
Mashea Ashton, Chief Executive Officer, Newark Charter School Fund
Myrna Castrejón, Senior Vice President, Achievement and Performance Management, California Charter Schools Association
Jim Goenner, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Charter Schools Institute
Kevin Hall, Chief Executive Officer, Charter School Growth Fund
Alex Johnston, Outgoing Chief Executive Officer, ConnCAN
Josh Kern, Founder, Thurgood Marshall Academy
Robin Lake, Director, Center on Reinventing Public Education, University of Washington–Bothell
Alex Medler, Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, National Association of Charter School Authorizers
Cindy Murphy, Director of Charter Schools Program, Minnesota Department of Education
Eric Paisner, Chief of Staff, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
Meg Palisoc, Teacher, Co-Founder, and Chief Executive Officer, Synergy Academies
Jim Peyser, Partner, NewSchools Venture Fund
Delia Pompa, Senior Vice-President of Programs, National Council of La Raza
Eric Premack, Executive Director and Founder, Charter School Development Center
Don Shalvey, College-Ready Education, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
David Umansky, Chief Executive Officer, Civic Builders