More at edweek.org
14 Charter Schools Named National Blue Ribbon Winners
Fourteen charter schools were among the 254 public schools named 2010 National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
Recognized for their students’ academic achievement, the Blue Ribbon charter schools are:
- Aurora Borealis Charter School, Kenai, Alaska
- Aspire - Capitol Heights Academy, Sacramento, Calif.
- Hawthorne Math and Science Academy, Hawthorne, Calif.
- KIPP Heartwood Academy, San Jose, Calif.
- Synergy Charter Academy, Los Angeles, Calif.
- The Preuss School UCSD, La Jolle, Calif.
- Newark Charter School, Newark, Del.
- Mater Academy East Charter School, Miami, Fla.
- Gray Charter School, Newark, N.J.
- North Star Academy Charter School, Newark, N.J.
- Greenville Technical Charter High School, Greenville, S.C.
- Briarmeadow Charter School, Houston, Texas
- The Varnett Public School - East Campus, Houston, Texas
- Brompton School, Kenosha, Wis.
Schools are selected for the award for either ranking among their state's highest performing schools on state assessments or for improving the performance of underserved students. A complete list of the 2010 Blue Ribbon Schools is available online.