More at edweek.org
12 Charters Named 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools Winners
At least 12 charter schools are among the U.S. Department of Education 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools winners, according to a list released by the Department.
Charter schools on the list include the following:
- The Charter School of Wilmington, Delaware
- D.C. Preparatory Academy, Edgewood Elementary School, Washington, D.C.
- Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College, Florida
- Hartridge Academy, Florida
- Prairie Crossing Charter School, Illinois
- Lake Forest Elementary Charter School, Louisiana
- International Spanish Language Academy, Minnesota
- Albuquerque Institute of Math & Science at UNM Charter School, New Mexico
- Harding Charter Preparatory High School, Oklahoma
- The Laboratory Charter School of Communication and Languages, Pennsylvania
- Souderton Collaborative Charter School, Pennsylvania
- Tidioute Community Charter School, Pennsylvania
The award honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools “where students perform at very high levels or where significant improvements are being made in students' levels of achievement,” according to the Department announcement on September 24, 2013.